You are here: Immigration Home Page > US Immigration > H-1B Employer Sponsored US Work Permit
About Us  |  Contact Us

H-1B Employer Sponsored US Work Permit

Generally, the H-1B visa is designed to enable US employers hire foreign workers in specialty occupations on a temporary basis. A specialty occupation is one that requires the following:

What Must the US Employer Do?

The employer must have a US taxpayer identification number. Thus, a foreign business with no US presence cannot use this visa. The employer must sponsor or file the H-1B application and therefore needs to document that the position is a specialty occupation. Further, the employer must maintain wage and hour records and information concerning working conditions for all similarly situated employees.

What Must the H-1B Employee Do?

The potential employee must show that s/he is qualified for the specialty occupation and that his or her degree or work experience is equivalent to a US bachelor degree, and that this background is relevant to the US position.

How Long Can H-1B Employees Stay in the US?

The H-1B visa can initially be issued for 3 years and be extended for another 3 years (total 6 years). Note that H-1B employees could potentially become US legal permanent residents (green card holders).

How to Obtain an H-1B Visa

Each H-1B case must be well documented with supporting evidence proving that all legal requirements are met. The employer’s first step is to obtain an approved Labor Condition Application, which describes the position and the salary and also contains various attestations by the US employer. The employer then files a petition with the Citizenship and Immigration Services at one of the four regional Service Centers. Once this is approved, the next step is normally for the candidate to obtain an H-1B visa from the applicable US Consulate or Embassy. Dependents of the H-1B holder (spouses and children) may obtain H-4 visas that will allow them to stay in the US with the H-1B visa holder.

US Immigration

Immigration Assessments
UK Tier 1 Highly Skilled Visa
Australia Skilled Worker Visa
Canada Skilled Worker Visa

Immigration Guides
Skilled Independent Migration
Business Migration and Visas
Work Permits and Work Visas
Family and Dependent Visas
Intra-Company Transfers
Working Holiday Visas
Online Migration Services

Try our free online migration assessments
Try our online application services
Useful Links
Immigration News
Language Translation
Currency Converter
Flights and Travel
Link to Us
The work permit, immigration and other information contained on this web site does not constitute advice
and SkillClear hold no responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of such information contained therein.
Terms and Conditions of Business | Contact Us | Careers with SkillClear | Site Map | Link to Us

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional