You are here: Immigration Home Page > US Immigration > B-1 in Lieu of H-1B Business Visa
About Us  |  Contact Us

US Business Visas - B-1 in Lieu of H-1B

This visa is somewhat unusual as it allows the holder to work in the US, yet does not require the filing and approval of a petition to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services like most work visas do. It also does not involve a US employer. This may in rare circumstances cause problems when the holder enters the United States of America.

Please consult with one of our US immigration specialists for more information concerning this issue.

Which Companies Can Use This Visa for its Employees?

The most common B-1 in lieu of H-1B visa scenario involves a foreign (non-US) company having a contract or agreement with a US client or customer to perform services in the US.

Which Employees Can Be Sent to the US on a B-1 in lieu of H-1B?

This visa is for highly specialized and professional employees only. While they are in the US on this visa, they should continue to be employees of and salaried by the foreign company. The visa holder should also return to his/her regular employment with the foreign company after the project in the US has been completed.

How Long Can B-1 in lieu of H-1B Employees Stay in the US?

Generally, the visa will be issued for any period of up to 12 months (14 is normally the absolute maximum). Should longer periods in the US be necessary, please contact us for more information.

How to Obtain a B-1 in lieu of H-1B Visa

Each case must be well documented with supporting evidence proving that all legal requirements have been met. The relevant US Consulate or Embassy will then adjudicate the visa application. Dependents of the visa holder (spouses and children) cannot obtain dependent visas although they may be able to get B visas.

US Immigration

Immigration Assessments
UK Tier 1 Highly Skilled Visa
Australia Skilled Worker Visa
Canada Skilled Worker Visa

Immigration Guides
Skilled Independent Migration
Business Migration and Visas
Work Permits and Work Visas
Family and Dependent Visas
Intra-Company Transfers
Working Holiday Visas
Online Migration Services

Try our free online migration assessments
Try our online application services
Useful Links
Immigration News
Language Translation
Currency Converter
Flights and Travel
Link to Us
The work permit, immigration and other information contained on this web site does not constitute advice
and SkillClear hold no responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of such information contained therein.
Terms and Conditions of Business | Contact Us | Careers with SkillClear | Site Map | Link to Us

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional