You are here: Immigration Home Page > UK Immigration > Sectors Based Scheme (SBS)
About Us  |  Contact Us

UK Sectors Based Scheme (SBS)


This scheme is currently available only to nationals of Bulgaria and Romania

The scheme allows workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to enter the United Kingdom to take short-term or casual jobs.

What is the Sectors Based Scheme?

Your UK employer must apply for a work permit for you before you travel to the United Kingdom.

This work is low skilled and jobs are only available in these sectors: Work Permits UK can issue a work permit for these jobs in hospitality: Work Permits UK can issue a work permit for these jobs in food manufacturing:

What work conditions can I expect?

Your work permit shows the wages and hours you agreed when your employer offered you the job. You are entitled to the same wages and conditions your employer gives to people doing similar jobs. Your wage must be no lower than the National Minimum Wage. The law says how many hours you can work and what holiday you can have.

How can I qualify for the scheme?

The scheme is open to all non-European Union nationals aged between 18 and 30.

How long can I stay in the UK under the scheme?

You can get permission to work for up to 12 months. We expect you to leave the UK when your permission to stay is finished. You may apply to return under the scheme after two months outside the UK.

Can I apply to stay in the United Kingdom for longer than it says on my work permit?

If there is work for you to do, you can apply to stay longer under the scheme, but only up to twelve months at the most. Your employer will need to apply to Work Permits UK for another work permit for you, and you will need to apply to the Home Office for permission to stay longer.

Can I change my employer while I am in the UK?

You can move to another employer during the period of your Work Permit, but you can only stay in the UK up to a total of 12 months. The new job must be the same type of work that you are already doing. Your new employer must apply for a new work permit for you before you start work.

If you leave your job and cannot find another job immediately, you must leave the UK as soon as possible.

Can I switch into full work permit employment?

A UK employer outside the Sector Based Scheme can apply for a work permit for you while you are in the UK. More information about work permits in general is available from the main work permits section of this site.

Can I apply to stay in the UK permanently?

The scheme does not allow you to apply to stay in the UK permanently.

Can I bring my dependants with me under the scheme?

The scheme only allows you to stay in the UK for a short time, and you cannot bring any dependants with you.

UK Immigration

Immigration Assessments
UK Tier 1 Highly Skilled Visa
Australia Skilled Worker Visa
Canada Skilled Worker Visa

Immigration Guides
Skilled Independent Migration
Business Migration and Visas
Work Permits and Work Visas
Family and Dependent Visas
Intra-Company Transfers
Working Holiday Visas
Online Migration Services

Try our free online migration assessments
Try our online application services
Useful Links
Immigration News
Language Translation
Currency Converter
Flights and Travel
Link to Us
The work permit, immigration and other information contained on this web site does not constitute advice
and SkillClear hold no responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise of such information contained therein.
Terms and Conditions of Business | Contact Us | Careers with SkillClear | Site Map | Link to Us

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional